[SI-LIST] Re: [Bulk] Re: PCB Impedance Failure

  • From: Ihsan Erdin <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:10:17 -0500

At the risk of deviating from the original topic, I'd like to make some
comments on the calculation of differential impedance I've seen in this
thread. I guess sqrt(L_mutual/C_mutual) is meant by the term "coupling
impedance" but I doubt it has any meaningful value. The differential
impedance can be found by decomposing the coupled transmission line circuit
into its odd and even mode components and multiplying the odd-mode impedance
by 2. That results in sqrt( 2*(L_self-L_mutual)/( 0.5*C_self +C_mutual) ).
The formulation assumes the elements of the pair are identical.
Regards.

Ihsan

On 1/12/06, Ken Cantrell <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

> Ludwig,
> Re: "I don't think anyone was claiming that one can achieve 100 Ohm
> differential impedance using 50 Ohm SE traces."
> I use 50 ohm SE, 100 ohm diff all the time.  Example: stripline, trace and
> plane thicknesses 0.64 mils, permittivity 4.0, dielectric thicknesses 4
> mils, trace width 3.25 mils, run the pair on 15 mil centers.  SE is 49.5,
> Diff is 98.5.  If I get 97 - 100 ohm diff, things work great, and I'm sure
> it could be looser than that and still work fine for standard LVDS type
> implementations.  As someone else stated, this type of geometry (loosely
> coupled spacing), although it yields a lower routing density, allows for a
> smooth impedance transition in the pin field escape area since the
> increased
> trace separation has little effect on the diff impedance.
> If you need to go to higher routing densities, then the SE impedance must
> be
> increased as you have pointed out.
>
> Clayton,
> If the board house can't produce a good cupon, I would get a re-spin soley
> on those grounds.  Be patient though, stuff happens.
>
> Ken

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org