[SI-LIST] Re: Best routing layer for SERDES

  • From: Dudi Tash <dudi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mervin.jacob@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mervin.jacob@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:28:46 +0300

Hi Mervin,

Due to lack of additional info regarding the interface I'd suggest the
following general guidelines:

My preference would be Microstrip and the reasons for that:

1. In case possible and the SERDES signals are in the egde BGA balls, no need
for vias, meaning no parasitic L and C on the traces, nor stubs (in case T.H
vias are used).
2. Since SERDES signals are differential, the XTALK problems are considerably
reduced
3. Skin effect wise - since the traces in Microstrip are plated, the final
trace thickness shall be 1.5oz, meaning the cross section of the trace is
wider, hence lower skin losses
4. If possible, rout the traces as wide as possible - again, lowering the skin
effect problems.
5. I'd also make round differential pairs - very much similar to RF traces

I hope this helps

Best Regards,
Dgtronix Ltd. I Founder & CEO I Dudi Tash
eFax: +972-3-7256490 I Mobile: +972-54-6345629 I Office: +972-9-9660967
www.dgtronix-tech.com

*This email contains confidential and proprietary information of Dgtronix Ltd.*