[SI-LIST] Re: Best device model to learn SI

  • From: "Jerry Martinson" <jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "siforum" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:04:36 -0800

John,

If you're into SPICE instead of IBIS but don't have HSPICE, I've seen
some excellent freely available app notes from OnSemi that have a
variety of simple SPICE models for IO buffers.  You should be able to
find them if you Google for them.  They also have some stimulus patterns
and are organized in a logical way that clearly shows what the various
parts of an IO driver do.  They won't be close to
"sign-off-the-ASIC-accurate" but you could definitely get the
fundamentals from playing around with these with a free SPICE simulator.
This may be what you are looking for.  I think these models may be a
little more heavy-weight than the simplest ones possible. =20

I too have been looking for very simple but not super-accurate IO buffer
SPICE models representative of commonly used IO buffers for a different
reason: to debug net and stimulus topology on a SPICE deck before
sending stuff out to a consultant with a full HSPICE license for them to
simulate and provide expert review.  There's nothing worse than trying
to debug simple typos with a model that requires a $40k per license tool
and 3 hours to run or trying to describe what you want to simulate over
the phone and then having the wrong thing simulated or finding out that
your topology idea was so flawed that simple trapezoid waveforms would
have uncovered the mistake.

-Jerry