[SI-LIST] Re: Best PDS impedance for package damping

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bart Bouma" <bart.bouma@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:23:47 -0800

Bart, that is really only true until you pass the SRF of the last network
capacitor.
An interesting dilemma of the multiple resonance technique is that it takes
more and more of the capacitors as we move up in frequency to keep the
resultant curve under the target line.  And if you don't hold phase
significantly closer to zero all the way up to any given frequency cross,
such as IC internals, and the planes, the antiresonant peak remains driven
by the higher combined ESR and ESL of the network, not holding the phase
closer to zero at lower frequencies.  Now, for a given capacitor count, and
consequent ESL, we can raise the ESR by using smaller value capacitors to
yield the requisite ESL.  The multiresonance approach can actually drive in
the other direction as it seeks to minimize capacitor count, raising ESL,
by using capacitors with low ESR.

The ESR issue is why some authors, like Dr. Johnson have actually advocated
Y5V which under any bias voltage demonstrates a much higher ESR than
"better" dielectrics such as X7R that is relatively immune to voltage.

For example, at 40% bias, a 10V 100nF Y5V is 110mohms, whereas a X7R of the
same rating is 40milliohms.

But even pulling up the ESR can be dubious depending on the impedance the
network that they look into.  If it is planes you are interested in taming
and the structure is 4 or 6 layer, the impedance of that network is up in
the ohm range and changing the ESR doesn't show much effect.  An IC is
anybody's guess as the vendors don't tell us what is inside their devices,
and do not stipulate an acceptable range of phase. and |Z|.

Did they say that anything is simple?

Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at: