[SI-LIST] Re: Balancing Copper and dielectric losses?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx, <leonard.dieguez@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:14:30 -0700

Jeff, if you have a short interconnect and low-loss dielectric, a skinny
trace  over thin dielectric affords more skin loss and will be less likely
to resonate than will a wide trace over thick dielectric.  The trick of
course is picking the right dielectric thickness to balance desired and
undesired loss when both long and short interconnects have to run on the
same etch layer(s).

Regards,

Steve.
At 12:49 PM 7/6/2005 -0700, Loyer, Jeff wrote:
>Leonard,
>In this posting, it's implied that there's some benefit to balancing the
>dielectric and copper losses.  Is this merely a boo-boo, or is there
>some phenomena I haven't heard of?
>
>I'm also surprised to hear the "wonders for group delay" comment.  Can
>you clarify what you mean by that?
>
>Jeff Loyer

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: