[SI-LIST] Re: Backdrill under BGA

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Aubrey Sparkman" <asparkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bill Stube" <Bill.Stube@xxxxxxxxxx>, cygnul@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:09:12 -0700

I have tests that show that the usual 12 mil drill diameter vias in PCBs at
least as thick as 120 mils are of no concern up to 6.4 Gb/S and of no
concern to 10 Gb/S as long as the signal travels from the BGA pin down to
one of the bottom layers of the PCB.  (These vias tend to measure about 0.5
pF.)

Backdrilling comes into play when the holes are the size used for press fit
connectors (24 mil  drill) when the backplane exceeds 100 mils thick.  I've
got several test PCBs that show this.  (These vias can measure up to 2 pF.)

I think the worry over the effects of vias is based on supposition rather
than actual measurements in many cases.  We have a habit of worrying about
things rather than measuring them to see if they are significant as opposed
to just visible. To avoid this, I've built almost a dozen test PCBs to
measure what the effects are of various structures.  Much of this data has
been presented in public forums.

Lee Ritchey
Speeding Edge

On
> Behalf Of Bill Stube
> Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:36 AM
> To: cygnul@xxxxxxxxx; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Backdrill under BGA
>
> Sam,
>
> I do not have experience with backdrilling under BGAs specifically.
>
> My suggestion would be to avoid putting vias on the signal at BGA in the
> first place, or if you must have vias to transition from layer 1 to layer
> and avoid the stub.  I realize this doesn't exactly address your question,
> but if you avoid having a via/stub altogether, you will avoid the added
> complexity and cost of having to backdrill and account for the items David
> mentions below.
>
> Just thought I would throw it out there.
>
> Bill Stube
> Hardware Engineer
>
> Plexus - http://www.plexus.com
> The Product Realization Company