[SI-LIST] Re: BT Laminate substrates for high voltage application

It sounds like you want to bring the case connection of the Solar Magic
onto the PCB.  You have to derate the dielectric, and there are special
considerations for glass resin.  Laminate / substrate suppliers list
safety agency approved ratings.

Steve.
Gumaste, Vijaylaxmi wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I want to check feasibility of using laminate substrates for an application
> that needs high voltage isolation (several kV) between certain traces.
>
> I am looking at breakdown voltage strength for different materials.
>

> Is the formula sufficient to determine usability?
>
> Breakdown voltage = Dielectric strength x laminate thickness
>

> Or are there any potential concerns with using laminate materials at HV.
>
> I came across some references that mentioned micro-voids in laminate material
> can result in lower effective breakdown strength. How can I quantify the
> reduced effective strength?
>

> Regards,
>
> Vijaya

> List technical documents are available at: