[SI-LIST] Re: BGA Breakout.

  • From: Surita Chandani <surita.chandani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:43:40 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Lee for your comments.
The suggestions for two traces between Vias comes directly from Intel document,
also this document is from 2002. Their pitch is 1.067 mm. The document itself
is available at:

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/xeon/sb/25039702.pdf ;
; Page 43.

--- On Fri, 1/15/10, Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Surita,

You are right, you cannot successfully route two traces between pins on a 1
mm pitch BGA without significant risk of shorts.

If you drill a 12 mil hole, your antipad does not have to be larger than 32
mils.  This leaves you with a 7.37 mil web, which works nicely for a single
trace, but not two traces..  Your surface or signal layer pads can be 24
mils for 1 mil annular ring and 26 mils for 2 mil annular ring.

There will only be pads on inner layers where traces connect.

By the way, what vendor told you to route 2 traces between pins?

Lee Ritchey

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: