[SI-LIST] Re: BBC Presentation--James Clark Maxwell

  • From: "Bob McNamara" <electronbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arafi001@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:49:42 -0700

> Maxwell, along with Micheal Faraday, Benjamin Franklin, Gauss and
> Lorentz are considered the fathers of Electromagnetic theory, with
> Maxwell creating a concise mathematical formulism in the form of
> the 4 Electromagnetic Equations, commonly known as Maxwell's
> Equations.

Actually the concise formulism is the work of Oliver Heaviside:

  "Heaviside was able to greatly simplify Maxwell's 20 equations in
   20 variables, replacing them by four equations in two variables.
   Today we call these 'Maxwell's equations' forgetting that they
   are in fact 'Heaviside's equations'."

(from http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Heaviside.html)

List archives are viewable at: