[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: "Zhiping Yang" <zhiping@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:24:28 -0800

Hi Chris,

I have watched this topic for a while.  There are a lot of valuable comments
from the SI experts.

I agree with you that existing IBIS model is not accurate and correct for
SSO type analysis, but that does not mean there is no solution to solve the
SSO problem by using behavior I/O models.  At least, a proposed RBF behavior
model from Prof. Canavero showed good results for SSO simulations.

For the IBIS model, I think we already know the problems or shortcomings why
it is not good for SSO simulation.  Recently we (Cisco SI engineers)
submitted a IBIS BIRD (BIRD95) to address this issue.  I have to admit that
our current proposal may not completely solve this problem in one step, but
it could significantly increase the IBIS capabilities in SSO simulations (we
believe).  In long term, I believe the SSO simulation could be correctly
done by IBIS model with the expanding of the IBIS itself.  This is the IBIS
activity Istvan mentioned in his previous e-mail.  As Istvan mentioned,
there are other parallel activities with IEEE standard committee and
DesignCon on the power integrity.  With all the inputs and efforts from the
industry experts, we believe that power integrity problem could be correctly
modeled and solved in the future.

Best regards,

Zhiping