[SI-LIST] Re: Antw: Embedded uStrip - double check me

  • From: "Robert Nowak" <RNowak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:14:41 +0100

Hello Chris,

Normaly the fabrication compensation is enabled for all my
simulations,
with the typical parameters of our PCB manufactor.
Our manufactor does not change the line width for impedance matching.
So i talk with the guys and the give me their parameters for undercut.
My layout data use precompensation (my lines are blown up in gerber
data).

For Bill  I calculate the impedanz with the stackup editor with
dissabled  fabrication compensation.

If you requiere narrow impedance control, you should chose
a manufactor, which can measure the impedance of your
lines and can adjust the linewidth to get the requiered
impedance and tolerance.
Normaly impedance measure is done with a test coupon
placed on the pcb manufactor panel.

Greatings,
Robert

>>> "Chris McGrath" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx> 11/06 3:36  >>>
Robert (and other Hyplerlynx 7.0 users),

When calculating trace width/spacing and stackup parameters for the
purpose of dense routing, do you turn on the option to account for PCB
fabrication effects or not?  I have found that the parameters that our
PCB fab house will accommodate is more in line with the option turned
ON
and if the option is OFF the parameters are much more conservative
(and
yields a lower routing density).

Along that same line, I have noticed that the plating on the top and
bottom layer does not have as significant an effect on the impedance
as
expected.  For 0.5 oz copper plating on a 0.5 oz/4 mil copper trace, I
would expect the trace to be in the area of 5 mils with the plating
but
the numbers don't exactly line up.  Has anybody else dealt with this?

Thanks,
Chris

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: