[SI-LIST] Ansoft Maxwell Macro Question

This list seems to be one of the best forums for discussion about Ansoft
Maxwell so I thought I'd post it here.  I apologize as this is not
specifically an SI question.

What I'd like to do is build a macro where I can:

1.  select a specific face (that falls in the (x,y,0) plane) of a 3D object
by name
2.  have Maxwell choose 100 random (x, y) coordinates that fall inside
this face
3.  output to a file the voltages along 100 orthogonal lines in the
z-direction
that pass through points (x1,y1) to (x100,y100) of the face

Do you have any idea how I could do this?  It seems like if Maxwell can
identify the face of an object in the xy plane that it should be able
to randomly choose 100 points inside the defined surface, but I can't
figure it out.

I emailed the guys at Ansoft and their response was, "You might want to
consider to replace the 'random' function with a uniform distribution."  Not
so helpful.  ANY INSIGHT would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you,
Matthew Schiefer

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: