[SI-LIST] Altera PDN Tool

  • From: "Joel Brown" <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:17:27 -0700

I have been playing around with the Altera PDN tool.
When I look at the ESR and ESL values on the Library page it seems the
values match very closely with AVX SpiCap3 which makes me think that is were
the values came from.

When I used Kemet's spice program I get values that are quite different. One
which stood out was an ESL of 1.9nh for a .01uF 0402 capacitor.

So it makes me wonder if I use the values in the Altera library if the
results are going to be anywhere close to reality especially if we are
buying capacitors from Kemet or another vendor.

I am assuming the ESL values in the Altera library don't include the
mounting inductance since they model that separately.

Is there any information comparing ESL from different capacitor vendors for
0402 or any other size capacitors?

Thanks - Joel

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net