[SI-LIST] Advanced notice: The IEEE EMC Society is interested in practical design!

  • From: Roy Leventhal <Roy.Leventhal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:20:32 -0500

All,

Recently I attended the IEEE EMC Society's annual symposium in Detroit,
Michigan. Many sessions and papers have been devoted to Signal Integrity
(SI) and Power Integrity (PI), and their effects on EMI-EMC. I thought
the time had come to suggest soliciting papers that are oriented to
practical design in SI, PI and EMI-EMC. This idea was well received by
TC10, the technical committee charged with the task of putting together
sessions in this subject area.

The session papers and speakers would be focused on the application of
formulas and EDA tools to design problems rather than their derivation
or verification. Just enough on their derivation and verification would
be given to put the design methods in context. The main effort would be
in explaining how limitations in the methodology were successfully
overcome and how manufacturing variability was managed.

The session could be organized in different ways. Four papers in a four
hour session would be the right amount. Two way I am thinking of
organizing a session are:
1. Four papers that take a design development from start to completion.
Each would explain how Signal Integrity, Power Integrity, EMI-EMC, and
manufacturing variability was design for.

Or,

2. One paper each on Signal Integrity, Power Integrity, EMI-EMC, and
manufacturing variability with explanations of effects on, and from, the
other three areas.

The next symposium will be in mid-August in Austin, Texas. The reasons
for letting the SI-LIST community know about this so early are:

1. SI, PI, and EMI-EMC are now more tightly linked than ever. The IEEE
EMC Society knows this, we know this and that everything we do in a
design has the potential of affecting all these areas.

2. The IEEE EMC Society solicits papers, actually power point
presentations, early in its symposium year The plan is to have the final
presentations/paper synopsis reviewed by January and speakers notified
shortly thereafter.

3. The IEEE EMC Society realizes that perfect derivations, perfect EDA
tools and models, perfect components and perfect designs are not high
probabilities. They know that their audiences want to know how working
engineers achieve working designs in an increasingly complex technology
world. The IEEE EMC Society is increasingly becoming a home for
engineers with the interests reflected in the SI-LIST.

Best Regards,

Roy Leventhal

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net