[SI-LIST] Re: Active components on a highspeed backplane

  • From: "Sandor Daranyi" <sandord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: naveenr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:04:02 +1000

Hello Naveen,

If all you need is a unique serial number, you could use something like the=
 DS2401 from Dallas/Maxim (http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/=
2903).  They don't come any simpler than that.  If you are worried about =
frying it, you can put in some further protection in the form of some app=
ropriately chosen series resistances.

If you need something more, e.g. a bit of extra memory to record more infor=
mation, check out some of the other Dallas 1-wire devices, there might be=
 something suitable.

I think there are other companies making similar devices, but the Dallas pa=
rt is the one I'm familiar with.  They are fairly low cost, too.

Since most designers don't like active components on the backplane (for goo=
d reason), most designs I've seen (and worked on) uses just a board ID, t=
o indicate revisions, by pulling down a few lines to ground.  Usually, it=
's enough.

Regards,

Sandor Daranyi
Senior Design Engineer