[SI-LIST] Re: Active components on a highspeed backplane

  • From: "Michael Khusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <naveenr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:32:01 -0400

Naveen,

1. Put two (one + redundant) EEPROMs on the backplane. That will hedge your
bets in case you fry one of the chips. You still have responsibility to
provide the right power to the device (Have you considered what will be the
source of the chip power? How would you provide different power sources to
each of two chips?)

2. If you have a "control" card in your backplane system, put the EEPROM on
the control card. It won't give you a unique ID for the backplane, but in
case you have two control cards, you can guarantee that the same chassis ID
will be preserved unless both control cards are replaced.

Mike

Michael Khusid
Ansoft Corporation
SI/HF Application Engineer

25 Burlington Mall Road, 6th floor
Burlington, MA 01803-4100

Tel 781-229-8900 Ext. 134  <--- New extension
Fax 781-229-8624