[SI-LIST] AW: signal layer between pwr/gnd layers

  • From: "Sol Tatlow" <Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Tegan.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "silist" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:46:43 +0200

Hi Tegan,

just one comment: a board stackup should be symmetrical. It may be
that yours is, and that you already know this (as I only see the 6
layer part of it), but be aware that asymmetrical layer stackings can
lead to serious warping of boards.

The worst example I saw of this was a customer of ours, who (before
becoming our customer!) had a board made by a competitor with the
following stack:

top-G-P-G-P-S-S-S-S-bottom

Quite apart from it being an SI disaster, this asymmetry (even if the
cores and prepregs are symmetrically ordered, in terms of thicknesses) =
of
4 solid planes on one side will lead to MEGA bowing when the board is =
then
soldered, due to differences in thermal expansion coefficients - in the
case of our customers, all boards had to be junked, since the warping
stress caused the fracturing of many internal via-plating connections,
rendering them useless.

Results might not be so drastic if the asymmetry is only slight, but I
would avoid it if possible!
____________________________________
Sol Tatlow, M.Eng. (Oxon)
ProDesign Electronic & CAD Layout GmbH