[SI-LIST] AW: Re: DDR-II: SSTL_18 & ODT

  • From: hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:04:45 +0200

Hi,

two comments:

Up to now there is no final SSTL18, but there will be a SSTL18 =
eventually!

And it is correct, that the ODT values are some compromise between =
Power and
SI. But there are some more thoughts.

First the problem is, that (usually) read data sees different topology =
then write=20
data (expect e. g. a star bus topology). So optimization for read is =
very often=20
worse for write.=20
In cas of ODT and DDRII the topology for a two slot system is some kind =
of asymetric
T bus. E. g. the LeadIn on Mobo is 40 Ohm and on the DIMM you do have a =
20 Ohm Stub
resistor in series with a 55 Ohm trace. For the Write in a two slot =
system, the data sees
a 40 Ohm trace, and then 20 + 55 ohm in parallel with the second slot =
(20 + 55 ohm).=20
If you are calculating this one, the branch is not to bad matched.=20
And for the 20 + 55 Ohm the 75 Ohm is not the worst termination for the =
second slot.

In case of a single Slot system the termination of DDRII is done on the =
same slot, that is=20
written to (of course, as there is only one slot poplated). To burn not =
to much power, the
termination is only half of the 2 Slot system. This can be done, as for =
a single slot
population the SI is not as bad as for the dual slot system.
So this is one of the tradeoffs between SI and Power, that Gregory =
mentioned=20

regards

Hermann

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: pgregory [mailto:pgregory@xxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet am: Dienstag, 13. August 2002 23:38
An: 'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Betreff: [SI-LIST] Re: DDR-II: SSTL_18 & ODT

JEDEC has two SSTL specs: SSTL_2 (2.5V) [JESD8-9B] and SSTL_3 (3.3V).
There is no SSTL_1 or SSTL_18 JEDEC spec. =20

The HSTL spec is a 1.5V spec [JESD8-6]. The industry has created a=20
defacto standard for HSTL operating at 1.8V (see Micron RLDRAM and=20
QDRII data sheets=20
http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/sram/MT54W1MH18B_4.pdf )

On-die-termination has to balance many things including power and
SI.  The non-ideal termination is a compromise. See=20
http://download.micron.com/pdf/technotes/TN4606.pdf for a look=20
at some comparison values.