[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Control Impedance testing

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:50:18 -0400

Lee and All,

If I interpret the question in the original post correctly, one aspect
of the issue/concern here is whether we can take the test coupon result
and apply it to the entire board.  In other words: assuming that there
is a test coupon inside our board with traces on all layers and for all
different geometries/impedances, AND all of these traces are found to be
within spec, does this guarantee that all of the other similar traces on
the board are within spec?  The answer is NO.   This is why on demanding
boards a periodical full-board scan is a good idea to find out the
distribution of trace impedances over the various layers.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

List technical documents are available at: