[SI-LIST] Re: ADC measurement and characterization method?

  • From: eoin.mcgibney <eoin.mcgibney@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jean-pierre bouthemy <jean-pierre.bouthemy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:58:43 +0000

Jean-Pierre,

Capture the digital samples from the ADC and process them using a DFT
that should allow you to determine the dynamic performance. If you want
to characterise the ADC you may want to consider INL and DNL, depending
on the ADC's application these maybe more important.

There is plenty of information and app notes from ADC manufacturers out
on the net around this and some good books too.

Regards,
Eoin

jean-pierre bouthemy wrote:

>Hi SI experts,
>I have a question regarding Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) measurement and
>characterization.
>I'm affraid this topic is a little bit more "RF-related" than SI, but I hope
>you will be able to answer my questions...
>
>If I want to characterize an ADC, my feeling is that ENOB (Effective Number Of
>Bits) measurement is the best way to evaluate its performance.
>I don't know if I can measure ENOB parameter, but I know that if I measure
>SNR, THD and SINAD, I can calculate ENOB with the formula:
>
>ENOB = (SINAD - 1.76 dB) / 6.02
>
>Now, I have to know how to measure SNR, THD and SINAD on my ADC.
>I can not find papers on the web about that?
>
>What I don't know is how to connect the DIGITAL N-bits parallel output of the
>ADC to the ANALOG 50 ohms input of the spectrum analyser??
>What should I put between ADC output and spectrum analyser input without
>adding more noise?
>
>Furtermore, any advice on ADC SINAD measurement method would be much
>appreciated.
>
>Your help is really welcome.
>

>Thank you.
>Jean-Pierre Bouthemy