[SI-LIST] ADC measurement and characterization method?

  • From: jean-pierre bouthemy <jean-pierre.bouthemy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:40:06 +0100

Hi SI experts,
I have a question regarding Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) measurement and
I'm affraid this topic is a little bit more "RF-related" than SI, but I hope
you will be able to answer my questions...

If I want to characterize an ADC, my feeling is that ENOB (Effective Number Of
Bits) measurement is the best way to evaluate its performance.
I don't know if I can measure ENOB parameter, but I know that if I measure SNR,
THD and SINAD, I can calculate ENOB with the formula:

ENOB = (SINAD - 1.76 dB) / 6.02

Now, I have to know how to measure SNR, THD and SINAD on my ADC.
I can not find papers on the web about that?

What I don't know is how to connect the DIGITAL N-bits parallel output of the
ADC to the ANALOG 50 ohms input of the spectrum analyser??
What should I put between ADC output and spectrum analyser input without adding
more noise?

Furtermore, any advice on ADC SINAD measurement method would be much

Your help is really welcome.

Thank you.
Jean-Pierre Bouthemy

List technical documents are available at: