[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupled Signals

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:29:45 -0700

Steve, 125mV is enormous.  This indicates that the capacitor represents
a huge discontinuity.  I would be very interested in seeing that deck so
that we can understand:

* How transparent or opaque the capacitor and its associated transitions
are.
* What the form and magnitudes of the other discontinuities are that the
capacitor is interacting with.

Regards,

Steve.
Stephen Zinck wrote:
> Hello SI-LISTers,
>
> I thought for my part in this discussion, I should do some due diligence on
> this AC coupling capacitor placement location question.
>
> Scott McMorrow, Steve Weir and I had some off-line discussions that tended
> to suggest my position dependency results may have been caused by local
> resonances from other impedance discontinuities in the system I was
> simulating. Based on this, I set out to develop a simulation model that had
> a minimum of discontinuities (no backplane vias/connectors/trace, etc.).
>
> I used:
>
> - Spice models of non-linear 3.125Gbit/s silicon (driver and receiver)
> - S-parameter based package models for both driver and receiver.
> - A 0.01uF capacitor and its associated parasitics (via, trace, pad, mount,
> component).
> - 2D lossy W-Element transmission line (with di-electric and skin effect
> losses included).
>
> I made the capacitor model such that I could "slide" it up and down a 15
> inch trace between the driver and receiver. I iteratively simulated for the
> following length combinations:
>
> - 500 mil trace from driver to AC coupling capacitor with 14500 mil trace to
> receiver.
> - 5000 mil trace from driver to AC coupling capacitor with 10000 mil trace
> to receiver.
> - 10000 mil trace from driver to AC coupling capacitor with 5000 mil trace
> to receiver.
> - 14500 mil trace from driver to AC coupling capacitor with 500 mil trace to
> receiver.
>
> The results show around 125 mV (differential) difference between the
> capacitor at the source versus the capacitor at the destination, with the
> benefit going to the capacitor placed closest to the receiver. 125 mV is a
> lot to give away...
>
> I am not going to pretend to understand the physics behind these results but
> I thought it worth while to at least show the basis for my statements.
>
> I would be happy to evolve the simulation environment if someone has a
> suggestion...
>
> I have put together a document that I can post to an ftp site or email if
> anyone would like a copy...
>
> Kind regards,
> Steve
>
> Stephen P. Zinck
> Interconnect Engineering Inc.
> P.O. Box 577
> South Berwick, ME 03908
> Phone - (207) 384-8280
> Email - szinck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Web - www.interconnectengineering.com

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: