[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupled Signals

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:06:40 -0700

Could the difference be Stephen's package models and/or driver/receiver
termination?  If he had a worse transmitter package/termination than
receiver, could that explain the improved results when the cap was close
to the receiver?

I've agreed with all Steve and Scott have said (and really enjoyed the
points they've brought up), but also don't doubt that, in some
particular instances, capacitor placement closer to the receiver might
give better results than close to the driver (and vice-versa).

My opinion regarding the general question is that there aren't any
one-size-fits-all rules either way (cap placement), that simulations
must be performed for each particular topology.

I've found this to be especially true for more complex topologies, with
connectors, etc.  For instance, putting discontinuities at approximately
the same distance apart as some other set of discontinuities in the same
channel has caused the resonances to add up, and close the eyes.

There's also the question of whether it's best to "lump" discontinuities
together (maybe put the cap close to a connector), rather than
"distribute" them.  (terms in this context having nothing to do with the
standard SI meaning of the words)

Of course, if the discontinuity caused by the cap can be reduced, that's
strongly preferred.

I would also wonder if, for most point-to-point topologies, it really
matters.  Most links are designed to accommodate multiple connectors and
(usually) corresponding longer lengths.  The point-to-point topos are
often no-brainers (compared to those).

For the topos with connectors and/or longer lengths, I'd hesitate to
follow rules-of-thumb.  Simulations would be in order.  That might
include following design guidelines that are based on simulations.

And, as Jon pointed out, sometimes you don't have any choice -
specifications dictate parts placement.

Disclaimer:

The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
Intel on this matter.

Jeff Loyer