[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupled Signals

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stephen Zinck <signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:36:23 -0400

A slight correction in my previous posting.
"S12 below -20 dB @ 5 GHz, and below -15 dB @ 10 GHz."

should be:

S11 below -20 dB @ 5 GHz, and below -15 dB @ 10 GHz.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Scott McMorrow wrote:
> [...]
>
> Define "better" and then relate your simulations and conclusions to
> linear system theory and measurements.
>
> I contend that the only difference an AC coupling capacitor can
> possibly have due to position in a linear interconnect is a result of
> impedance mismatch.  I contend that the capacitor will form a 1/2 wave
> resonant circuit with other interconnect discontinuities (connectors,
> vias stubs, packages, Tx die, Rx die ... etc) and that this
> interaction is system, chip, connector and package design dependent.
> I contend that it is this 1/2 resonance that can cause differences
> that can be measured, but that there is no "rule of thumb", since the
> position and magnitude of discontinuities are different in every
> system.  In some systems the receiver constitutes a larger
> discontinuity than the transmitter.  In other systems this is
> reversed.  In yet other systems, connectors and vias represent larger
> discontinuites than do either the transmitters or receivers. It all
> "just depends".  To state a specific rule is just plain incorrect.
>
> I contend that once you remove the magic and myths surrounding AC
> coupling capacitors, analysis of the 3D structure shows that by
> reducing the signal path discontinuity through the capacitor, you will
> necessarily improve performance.  An AC coupling capacitor, with it's
> associated via and pad transition design, can be viewed as a black box
> which has insertion loss and return loss, and can be modeled quite
> well using either lumped element approximations or (my favorite)
> S-parameters.  As such it will cascade in a simulation model just like
> any other linear element.  If we start with a system with flat 50 ohm
> impedance from end to end, it can be easily shown that no matter what
> the position of the capacitor along the interconnect is, the insertion
> loss of the system is identical.  It is only the return loss, as seen
> from each end that changes.
>
> I've been designing AC coupling capacitor mounting transitions
> properly for quite a few years now and have some 0402 designs that
> keep S12 above -0.2 dB up to 7.5 GHz, S12 below -20 dB @ 5 GHz, and
> below -15 dB @ 10 GHz.  For all practical purposes, these designs are
> transparent and may be placed anywhere in an interconnect design where
> there is space, since there is little resonance interaction with other
> devices and structures.
>

> Scott
>
> Scott McMorrow
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
> 121 North River Drive
> Narragansett, RI 02882
> (401) 284-1827 Business
> (401) 284-1840 Fax
>
> http://www.teraspeed.com
>
> Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>

> Stephen Zinck wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> My simulations show that the capacitor is best placed at the receiver
>> end of the transmission-line. Do you disagree? If so, why?

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: