[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupled Signals

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stephen Zinck <signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:44:16 -0400

Stephen
Define "better" and then relate your simulations and conclusions to
linear system theory and measurements.

I contend that the only difference an AC coupling capacitor can possibly
have due to position in a linear interconnect is a result of impedance
mismatch.  I contend that the capacitor will form a 1/2 wave resonant
circuit with other interconnect discontinuities (connectors, vias stubs,
packages, Tx die, Rx die ... etc) and that this interaction is system,
chip, connector and package design dependent.  I contend that it is this
1/2 resonance that can cause differences that can be measured, but that
there is no "rule of thumb", since the position and magnitude of
discontinuities are different in every system.  In some systems the
receiver constitutes a larger discontinuity than the transmitter.  In
other systems this is reversed.  In yet other systems, connectors and
vias represent larger discontinuites than do either the transmitters or
receivers. It all "just depends".  To state a specific rule is just
plain incorrect.

I contend that once you remove the magic and myths surrounding AC
coupling capacitors, analysis of the 3D structure shows that by reducing
the signal path discontinuity through the capacitor, you will
necessarily improve performance.  An AC coupling capacitor, with it's
associated via and pad transition design, can be viewed as a black box
which has insertion loss and return loss, and can be modeled quite well
using either lumped element approximations or (my favorite)
S-parameters.  As such it will cascade in a simulation model just like
any other linear element.  If we start with a system with flat 50 ohm
impedance from end to end, it can be easily shown that no matter what
the position of the capacitor along the interconnect is, the insertion
loss of the system is identical.  It is only the return loss, as seen
from each end that changes.

I've been designing AC coupling capacitor mounting transitions properly
for quite a few years now and have some 0402 designs that keep S12 above
-0.2 dB up to 7.5 GHz, S12 below -20 dB @ 5 GHz, and below -15 dB @ 10
GHz.  For all practical purposes, these designs are transparent and may
be placed anywhere in an interconnect design where there is space, since
there is little resonance interaction with other devices and structures.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Stephen Zinck wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> My simulations show that the capacitor is best placed at the receiver
> end of the transmission-line. Do you disagree? If so, why?
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen P. Zinck
> Interconnect Engineering Inc.
> P.O. Box 577