[SI-LIST] Re: A question for the instrument guys on TDR and TDT

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:50:20 -0500

The 'why not' is an interesting question, and you may get several
different answers,
dependent on priorities.  My answer is that a scope is OK for low
dynamic range
or low-frequency measurements, in those applications it is cheaper than
VNA and
works fine.  On the other hand, VNAs can achieve 100+ dB dynamic range
easily;
to get that in a scope, the effective number of bits would need to be
16+, not
available today on fast scopes.

If milliohms need to be measured, VNA is hard to beat.  For
tens and hundreds of milliohms or higher, scope would be acceptable.

Regards,

Istvan

Chris Cheng wrote:

>I would agree. However, the question is not whether the scope is capable =
>of doing it but why not ?  The controls are almost there (for the =
>TDR/TDT) and de-embedding is a simple step of shifting the reference =
>plane or simple post processing FIR filter (something advance sampling =
>scope can already do). A $40K+ VNA vs. a free firmware upgrade on the =
>sample scope. Which one will you choose !?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: