[SI-LIST] Re: A question about XTK

  • From: "Abe Riazi" <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:27:23 -0800

Hi Perry:

To my understanding in order to produce an eye pattern providing comprehensive
SI and timing data at the input of a receiver, it is often necessary to apply a
pseudo-
random bit pattern at the output of the the driver.

Use of .sif file with RANDOM option provides a simple way of accomplishing
this objective  in XTK simulations.  The XTK/TLC manual states, " By using
the RANDOM option, each edge defined by the PERIOD, %HIGH and CYCLES
statements uses a random bit to determine if the edge will be rising or falling
The first cycle is always RISING then FALLING."

It is interesting to note that the pattern produced by the .sif RANDOM
feature repeats after a 2**32 cycles so that the bit pattern is pseudo-random.

It should be also noted that sometimes a very large CYCLES number is
desirable to achieve most accurate eye diagrams. In the example .sif file given
in my previous post, the number of CYCLES was set at 200. I have also
used cycles numbers exceeding several thousands but the draw back
is that simulation speed is then significantly reduced.

Regards,

Abe