[SI-LIST] Re: 90 degree bend

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dgun@xxxxxxxxxx" <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:10:00 -0700

Daniel,

In PCBs, the trace widths used to achieve 50 ohms are rarely wider than 8
mils and are often 5 mils.  At these widths, the effects of right angle
bends are undetectable at edge speeds as fast as 18 pSec.  (What's the
first harmonic of an 18 pSec edge?  Higher than 10 GHz I think and that is
clearly multigigahertz)  It is true that with trace widths of 50 mils plus,
the effect is visible.

Since the principal use of traces, at least by the subscribers of this
list, is for PCBs, the trace widths are likely to be less than 10 mils and
the statements about right angle bends being of no concern hold.

Lee W. Ritchey
Speeding Edge
P. O. Box 2194
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
Phone- 707-568-3983
FAX-    707-568-3504

I just used the energy it took to be angry to write some blues.
Count Basie

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org