[SI-LIST] Re: 6 layers stackup

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:32:05 -0600

Steve, every trace on the surface and the IC packages are exposed =
antennas! Ground under the surface allows lower impedance of traces and =
crystals along with lower package impedance to GND (lower Vss bounce in =
your terms).=20

To translate your other point: having traces inside the power<> ground =
pair traps that energy, which can excite the planes and the cavity. This =
is another part of the trade-off. So if we have to use S1 G S2 S3 P S4 =
we route critical traces on the surface layers.

                                                                Curt

Curt McNamara, P.E.=A0// principal electrical engineer=20
Logic Product Development
411 Washington Ave. N. Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401
T // 612.436.5178
F // 612.672.9489
www.logicpd.com=20
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential =
information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is =
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should =
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action =
based on it, is strictly prohibited.