[SI-LIST] Re: 50 Ohm Via?

  • From: "Lars Juul" <write2larsj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:54:16 +0100

Don't know if anyone already mentioned this, but if you want something
really funky, you should call www.amitec.com and ask them about their
dielectric-plugged Plated Through Hole with a microvia in the middle. Last
time I looked at this was in 2001, so this might be slightly out of date by
now..

2008/1/12, Loyer, Jeff <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Some thoughts, in no particular order (and targeted for High Volume
> Manufacturing products).
>

> *        A paper you might find pertinent is "System Level Impact of
> Stitching Vias and Capacitors for High-Speed Differential Links",
> available as:
> Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2007. ECTC '07.
> Proceedings. 57th
> Publication Date: May 29 2007-June 1 2007
> On page(s): 357-36
> ISSN: 0569-5503
> ISBN: 1-4244-0985-3
>
> *        Keep in mind how stackup-specific any controlled impedance via
> design will be.  A via that appears >50 ohms in a thick, lower-layer
> count board (say 100 mils, 6 layers), might well appear capacitive (< 50
> ohms) when the number of layers is increased.  Plug-in cards (or desktop
> boards) are often 60 mils thick, and only have 4 layers.  For a server
> design, you'd need different via designs for your baseboard versus
> risers and/or plug-in cards.
>
> *        Any realistic, precise via design would have to account for
> manufacturing variation, giving a "family" of possible impedances,
> rather than a single one.  The impedance variations might be too small
> to matter, but should be understood.  For differential vias, for
> instance, drill accuracy might play a significant role in the impedance.
>
> *        Of course, each controlled-impedance via is only valid for a
> particular layer entry/exit scheme.
>
> *        These make controlled-impedance vias very challenging for
> actual products.
>
> *        Add to these points the real-estate a controlled-impedance via
> might require (especially if you start talking about surrounding each
> signal via with multiple ground vias), and I end up being very skeptical
> that they are suitable for anything other than research or
> low-volume/high-performance/long-leadtime/high-price products.  For
> designs where cost and TTM (Time-To-Market) are primary drivers, ugly
> vias will continue to be necessary evils in our design.  Some things
> that can be done to minimize their impact (and I invite others to add to
> the list):
>
> o       Floorplan your high speed busses first, to optimize their
> topology for layer transitions:
>
> *        Minimize the number of transitions (vias) from driver to
> receiver, including connectors and risers.  Let your kHz or low MHz
> signals jump around from layer to layer, while your GHz signals continue
> on their dedicated layers.
>
> *        When transitioning, go all the way through the board,
> minimizing the stub.  For multi-board designs, this can be very
> challenging, but those are probably where this will be the greatest
> issue, also.
>
> o       Provide adequate ground stitching vias near transitions.
>
> I think applying guidelines like these, and absorbing the "hit" from the
> vias that are necessary, will be more realistic than complex, 3-D via
> [...]

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: