[SI-LIST] Re: 4-port node numbering

  • From: "Clewell, Craig" <Cclewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx'" <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:08:10 -0500

Ray,

In my opinion (A) is really the way I would think of it for the same reason
you cited.  The other reason I would think of it this way is due to the
natural progression from a 2 port network, which is usually tackled before
the 4 port.  It's much easier, and more practical when working with a 2 port
to have them numbered 1 and 2, and when you add two more ports it makes
sense that they would be 3 and 4.

I believe that after you understand network analysis port numbering is
really up to the user as long as they can keep the ports straight in their
mind.  The equations for conversions become a pain in the giggy since you
have to renumber the ports since most are written using convention (A).  If
you change the port numbering scheme and then try to use them it is much
easier to end up with an incorrect solution.

...just my own thoughts.

Regards,

Craig Clewell