[SI-LIST] Re: 2.5Gbit connectors and cables

  • From: "john lipsius" <johnlipsius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jtreeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:57:29 -0700

Jeff,

Assuming coax interconnect....

1. If the board pairs are 100ohm Zdiff pairs, then interconnecting with
    coax will present a pretty large problem in that you'll have two zeven/
    zodd discontinuities, plus the coax connector stubs in the pcb.

2. Instead, I would route the board traces as microstrip single-ended on
    the opposite surface from the the smb mounting surface, or use SMT
    coax connectors, to mitigate the stub.  Further, I would use 0402 series
    R to attenuate the signal and slow the edges, also to mitigate the
    discontinuities.
    You can always put in a 0 ohm value if needed, but driver amplitude
    control is better than this approach, if available.  Also, experiment
    with disabling any pre-emphasis in the driver since the link is short and
    discontinuous.

None of the above replaces the need to simulate or prototype.

-John