[SI-LIST] Re: 100 ohm VS 85 ohm

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ye, Xiaoning" <xiaoning.ye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:27:18 +0200

Hello,

I have asked myself the same question too, especially considering
platforms with board to baord connectors, where you do not know the
impedance of the other board.
My main concern was High volume manufacturing: If my 85Ohm board is at
the -15% edge (around 72 ohm) and my customers board 100 Ohm and +15%
(115 ohm) we will get a jump in impedance > 40 ohm.

Having one via in both bords the worst case routing will be:
-  Driver output impedance (calibrated 100 Ohm ? )
-  85Ohm + 15% = 97 ohm
- Via (e. g. optimized to 85 Ohm, not sure what the variation will be)
- 85 Ohm - 15% = 72 Ohm
- Connector (100 Ohm)
- 100 Ohm + 15% =  115 Ohm
- Via (e. g. optimized to 100 Ohm, not sure what the variation will be)
- 100 Ohm + 15% =  85 Ohm
- Terminiation Impedance (calibrated 100 Ohm ?)

I have to admit, that just looking to this numbers I can not really
imagine that this is anything valid for 5Gb or above. Just imagine the
impedance profile this does not look nice ...
So far I  have not checked the papers mentioned in this thread and I
hope to find some words there on HVM (High Volume Manufacturing).

Thanks and regards

Hermann

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer