[SI-LIST] Re: 100 ohm VS 85 ohm

  • From: "Ye, Xiaoning" <xiaoning.ye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chris Padilla (cpad)" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:46:32 -0700

Hi Chris,

Intel server platforms started 85ohm design for high speed serial link since
PCIe first generation work started about 10 years ago, so we have been enjoying
the benefits you mentioned for a long time, plus some other benefits such as
easy manufacturing and stackup planning, etc. :)

As to your concern about 50 ohm test environment, I think it is not necessary.
Here I am assuming VNA is the equipment used to characterize the channel:
* Let's say you measure the DUT with 50ohm environment, and get S parameter
matrix of [S1].  Then you measure the same DUT with 42.5ohm environment, and
get [S2].  If you compare values of [S1] to [S2], they are going to be quite
different. However, both of them are representing the exact same interconnect.
The key is the reference impedance. Giving out S parameters without mentioning
ref impedance is asking for trouble.
* Meanwhile, if you want to run simulation with your DUT, you can plug [S1]
into any (good) simulator, and tell the simulator that your [S1] is based on
50ohm ref impedance. Alternatively, you can plug in [S2], but you must tell the
simulator that your S parameter is based on 42.5ohm ref impedance.  Both
approaches should give you the exact same answer if the simulator is good.
* One analogy to this is to measure temperature:  it does not matter whether
the temperature is 32F or 0C, it is the same. However, if I tell someone the
temperature is 32, without mentioning the unit, people may get lost.
* BTW, I have seen some tools ignore the reference impedance associated with
the S parameter, and treat all S parameters as if they are based on 50ohm. If I
plug-in the simulator with [S2] (based on 42.5ohm ref impedance), and the
simulator treats it as with ref impedance of 50ohm, then I will definitely get
wrong results!  To avoid the trap (by some bad simulator), my advice is: always
ship someone else S parameters with 50 ohm reference impedance.

Just my 2 cents.

Xiaoning Ye