[SI-LIST] Re: 0.9 mil,0.8 mil,0.7mil gold wire application for IC packaging

  • From: "Barnes, Heidi" <heidi.barnes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Devis.Lu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:30:02 -0600

Hi Davis,
The smaller Au 0.7 mil wire has been used extensively for micro circuits =
in the 10 Ghz range and higher with no problems.  The trick is to =
realize that the currents tend to have a bit higher density on the =
outside edges of the microstrip as one goes up in frequency and the =
bigger benefit is to use two wire bonds to go from each edge of the =
microstrip to the pad on the device. The two wires lower the inductance =
far more then a wider diameter wire and also provide a better path for =
the signal currents. If the pad is too small.... there have been cases =
of stacked bonds to accommodate the two wires.  At even higher =
frequencies, one typically switches to ribbon bonding or strips of wire =
mesh cut to a desired shape rather then increasing the wire diameter.

The other issue is current carrying capacity, but again one can double =
up on the bonds if the 0.7mil is not enough. =20

As for a rule...it always depends on the application and one should use =
a 3DEM simulator to find the electrical properties of the wire bond in =
the environment that it is being used in.

Goodluck on the bonding,
Heidi