[shell-coding] Re: SetShellWindow

  • From: ilmcuts <ilmcuts@xxxxxxx>
  • To: shell-coding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:40:28 +0100

Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

Hey All,

I've been playing with SetShellWindow, and since it sounds like some of
you guys out there are working on figuring out how explorer works you
might be able to help out.  ;)

Basically, as you are well aware I'm sure, if you SetShellWindow(hwnd),
Explorer refuses to start.  I was able to get around this with setting the
'BrowseNewProcess' and 'DesktopProcess', in that explorer.exe would start
as a file manager.  The problem that still exists is that New/Open dialogs
still do not refresh when a new file/directory is created.  I don't
suppose anyone has any ideas?

I hope you don't use SetShellWindow just because you want to use explorer as your file manager - there are better ways than that. The only true advantage that I know of so far are automatic shell restarts (though I assume there must be much more to it).

You want to use Spy++ on your shell window. When I played around with it I received messages (WM_USER+something) every time a new item was created - but I failed to figure out how to handle them or how to interpret the parameters.

ilmcuts