[SeniorTech] Re: Hoaxes (seniors beware)

  • From: Susan Nixon <Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:42:18 -0600

1. The text was NOT written by the person who sent it to you. It was merely
"forwarded" to you (usually with a large number of other addresses at the
top because of the number of times it has been foolishly forwarded).

Remember, however, that some people have "send again" options, text unquote options, or know how to take all the junk off and make it look brand new. So, if it doesn't have #1, don't discount it! =)

Finally, if you'd like to learn more about hoaxes and how to handle them,
visit my Hoax Web Page at:
http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/hoaxes/

Oh, and by the way... "forward THIS email to everyone you know"!! <grin>

Oh, good idea, Jerry! How about Edlist? It amazes me how often very intelligent people are so trusting. I think we all want to believe everyone else is as honest as we are. So, let me add:

Don't respond to e-mails offerring you prizes, purporting to contain invitation confirmations, or asking for information, or warning your account is about to be cut off. Banks and businesses do not send that kind of notice, either. I laugh at how many banks want to tell me there's a problem with an account I don't have! It isn't from the bank, and it *is* just a way to confirm that your e-mail is an active account. Don't respond saying that it isn't you, either! Just dump them.

--

Susan

Retired teacher, no longer from Phoenix,
Traveling fulltime with DH, Paul, in our 5th wheel
Mother of 2 boys who will someday find themselves
Quilting whenever we stop

http://www.cyberspaces.net/travels/usa.html  for pictures

http://desertskyquilting.blogspot.com/  quilting journal

http://dezertsky.livejournal.com/  regular blog
This listserv is provided as a service to computer-using
senior citizens and retirees by "SeniorTech"
(http://www.seniortech.us)

Forward this email to any computer-using seniors you know.
They can subscribe themselves by going here:
http://www.seniortech.us/listserv.htm

To unsubscribe from this listserv, go here:
http://www.seniortech.us/listserv.htm

Questions? Email Jerry Taylor at   jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx