[SeniorTech] Re: Coconut Oil a Remedy for Alzheimer's?

  • From: GmoffettLtTouch@xxxxxxx
  • To: seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 05:10:32 -0400 (EDT)

There is a lot of confusion regarding what constitutes a good and a bad
fat.  Most people react badly when they see that Virgin Coconut Oil is  a
saturated fat and high in cholesterol, as past information on this topic has
scared people away.  Unfortunately, most of us are not properly educated on
this subject, so it appears that Coconut Oil is unhealthy due to high fat and
 cholesterol, when in fact it is just the opposite.  When I started reading
 the articles on VCO, and why it is so good for the body, I began to
understand  the difference myself.

Look at this link and on the column on the left side has all kinds of
research and articles on the benefits of saturated fat and cholesterol.....you
can pick anything that interests you.
_Coconutoil.com - Coconut  Oil: Why it is Good For You_
(http://www.coconutoil.com/litalee.htm)

This also gives a lot of information....you can scan as it is long.
_Coconutoil.com  - Research on Coconut Oil_
(http://www.coconutoil.com/coconut-oil-research.htm)

     Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) is a MEDIUM-CHAIN fatty  acid high in Lauric
Acid (which is in mother's milk), and considered very  healthy. THIS is what
makes the difference as compared to Low and High  Chain Fatty Acids and
POLY-unsaturated fats and hydrogenated oils.
      I am not a scientist, so you have to do your  own reading and
research for the details.  I was trying to find a really  short, concise
article to
answer your question, but I wasn't able to find the  ideal one...so hence
all these links for you to look over if  desired....sorry.

It was funny, while looking over some of the articles, I read that some
farmer's were trying to fatten up their cattle by giving them Coconut Oil, but
 it only made them leaner, more energetic, and hungrier.  I also read  that
cattle fed only canola and rapeseed oil developed tumors on their hearts,
and when finally fed SATURATED fats, the tumors disappeared.

Now we are aware that Trans Fats in margarine's and processed foods are bad
 for our hearts.   Crisco is also one of the very unhealthy  fats....origina
lly used in making soap and candles. (Actually, Lard is  healthier.... and
I remember my Grandmother's Pie Crust recipe always used lard  and was so
flaky.)  Obesity has also been on the rise since these other  products came on
the market..

       The people in the Polynesian countries  and India, etc. with a diet
high in VCO have a very low incidence of heart  problems, other diseases and
obesity as compared to those eating a 'western  diet'.  If they do adopt a
'western diet', then the health problems start  appearing.  The
Mediterranean Diet high in Olive Oil, is also considered a  good diet.

I know this is getting very long, but I wanted to add a personal  note.  My
son-in-law was asked by his massage therapist to try a  special
experimental diet for a month to see if it would help his chronic  pain and
inflammation.  He is a 43 year old Electrician.  As  far as I can remember, he
had to
cut out all 'white'  carbs  (ie..white sugar, flour, rice, pasta),...all milk
products,....all sausage  type meats and cold cuts, hot dogs, etc ...all
red meats unless  grass-fed,...soda drinks or fruit drinks with sugar.  He
also had to  cut out all oils except Olive Oil.
      I believe he could have all vegetables,  turkey, some chicken, fish,
grass fed meats, whole wheat breads, pasta and  brown rice.  He was eating
un-salted almonds for snacks.  Basically  most processed foods were also
eliminated because of what they contain.
     He said the 3rd morning after he started the  diet, he got out of bed
and realized for the first time in ages, his feet didn't  hurt and he was
amazed.  He started feeling more energetic, less hungry  (being satisfied with
less food), was losing weight and didn't have all the pain  and
inflammation in his body anymore.   He decided he is going to  stay on this
diet
because he feels so good now, so it is a testament to  what the proper food
will
do.

Sorry this is so long, but hopefully it may help someone towards better
health.
Ginny M.

In a message dated 3/17/2012 6:28:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ajbreding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The only  other thought I have is this is high in fat and cholesterol...
so not  sure I would try it.... any thoughts in that direction?

Love is  not blind, it sees more not less; But because it sees more it
chooses to see  less.
Unknown

provided as a service to computer-using
senior citizens and  retirees by "SeniorTech"
(http://www.seniortech.us)

Forward this  email to any computer-using seniors you know.
They can subscribe themselves  by going here:
http://www.seniortech.us/listserv.htm

To unsubscribe  from this listserv, go  here:
http://www.seniortech.us/listserv.htm

Questions? Email Jerry  Taylor at    jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx