[seedit] Re: CSSEdit (was: What is going on?)

  • From: Sven E Olsson <seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:27:23 +0100

On Nov 12, 2011, at 20:43:28, Jim Bauer wrote:

> I will check when I get up at 6 AM EST on Sunday morning to see if I can get
> a download of SEEdit 8.
>
> In the mean time I see that there will be many "Styles" and "Classes" -------
> CSS stuff.
> I am not very good at CSS but have used CSSEdit 2.6.1 (latest update a couple
> of years old and now incorporated in "Espresso") from "macrabbit" for several
> years to help me try to figure out what is going on.
>
> In SEEdit preferences in "Open CSS File in" I have selected "CSSEdit" as
> shown below.
> However the CSS file opens in SEEdit which does not show me the left and
> right columns as it does when I open the CSS file in CSSEdit.
> In CSSEdit I can (understand) and edit the file by using the left and right
> columns and seeing the results in the centre. Very helpful for me as I and
> not proficient in editing CSS files without this help.
> Have I done something wrong in the preferences ?

Nope, it is impossible….
Why the files is not opened in CSSEdit is Apple faults, they have removed and
removed things in every new version of the OS… There is a "new" way to doing
this. I have to download a copy of CSSEdit (I don't use it, SEEdit Quick CSS is
much faster and it is also so easy and fast to add a class to already written
html code.) or could you send me the Info.plist file from CSSEdit. Then I could
fix it, if CSSEdit don't refuse.

> A comment about the teaser image of 8 ------- the CSS file is going to be
> very large and contain many classes etc. which will not be used in any give
> sight. I have been making some separate CSS files (cut and paste) containing
> many fewer classes in order to help me avoid getting lost in the HTML5 file.
> Is this a good or bad idea ?

Using external css files is the correct thing, then you need only make changes
in one file (the css file) to example change the color to a paragraph that
exists in many pages. getting lost in the html5 page? It is better to use css
classes (but with a describing class name) to avoid getting lost in the html
document. Using one or more css files is just a taste and what you are
comfortable with.

Perhaps some others on the list have and suggestions how to use css files?

Contact me off list, if you could send the CSSEdit Info.plist file (zipped) I
take a look at it ASAP!
I just checked after CSSEdit, and it looks it is no longer available as
"standalone app" ? If so I need the Info.plist file from your copy of CSSEdit.

Sven E

Sven E Olsson
seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxx
http://seeditmaxi.cachefly.net/
feed://seeditmaxi.cachefly.net/rss/rss.xml

Skype: seeditonskype