[seedit] Re: CSS Editors

  • From: Dean Hill <mdeanhill@xxxxxxx>
  • To: seeditmaxi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:45:52 -0800

Chuck,

You have to watch out for me. I get enthusiastic a lot. :-) Just kidding.

To put my enthusiasm in perspective, my knowledge of Xyle Scope is from briefly
working with it after I found it by "accident" in a Google search for Mac CSS
editors.

It got high praise in a review roundup on the CSS-Tricks web site
(http://css-tricks.com/170-reviews-of-mac-css-editors/) and I clicked the link
and found the software with the note about being discontinued and that the last
version was now free.

Chris Coyer at CSS-Tricks really liked it as a troubleshooting tool, and a good
tool that can find my CSS flaws and help me clean up my code would be a
blessing from heaven, literally.

It has broader applications though. I saw one reference to where you can use
its browser approach to connect to a URL on the web and use it to deeply study
the underlying structure of the page/site. I saw one comment where the user
said it was helping him learn page and CSS structure. Interesting.

Even though the last version is a couple of years old, it still seems to
function, and I'm going to use it while I work in SEEdit on a couple of current
projects.

As for Cultured Code, they are concentrating their efforts on a "to do" product
called Things, which has won awards and gotten high praise from MacWorld and in
other publications. Things also is available through the App Store.

Chuck, I love your suggestion about getting Sven involved in a possible Xyle
Scope resurrection. :-)

Dean...

PS. My apologies to everyone on this list for writing so much about this. I
hadn't meant to. Maybe it's a way of procrastinating because I've got a couple
of large projects due.  :-)
If you want to converse more about this, feel free to contact me off-list at:
mdeanhill@xxxxxxx