[scshadowbane] Re: Latest News 5/7/03

  • From: Wayne Hendrickson <whendric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scshadowbane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 21:42:30 -0700

Hi Jeff and welcome!

I don't know if Dan or David have replied, but I'll pool my ignorance
with you for a while! First of all, did you get a manual (it's an
additional $20), because it was rather helpful even though parts of
it are already dated.

I decided on a wizard for my main character, so it was obvious that
an Elf would be ideal (because of high intelligence and spirit). In
role-play mode the elves are aloof and taciturn. In contrast, the
Aelfborn are emotionally mercurial and, thus, quite fun for those who
choose to role-play them. For what it's worth, the Aelfborn casters I
know who are at higher levels don't seem to have mana shortages. So,
I guess what I'm saying is that while for the first twenty levels or
so you might be a little frustrated by mana shortages, I think it
will not be a problem at the higher levels. Also, keep in mind that
all the characters are frustrated at the lower levels for one reason
or another. The game is designed to force teamwork early on which
becomes critical in later pvp conflicts. Another thing to remember is
you can always create another character. Alot of us ditched our first
characters because we didn't train them properly...it's really no big
deal because second time around you know the ropes. I say go with
what appeals to you and it will work well with the group!

Billing issues? I suppose you've already gotten your answers about
that. Email me if it's still unclear to you.

For the first twenty levels you should choose to be associated with
one of the towns or hamlets on what is called "newbie island". The
two main cities are Silverthorn and Kingsbridge, and I think it's
better for you to begin there and join our guild after you hit L20.
By doing that you are forced to learn your character's unique
abilities. If you immediately join with us there is a danger of
leveling without an intuitive ability of your character's
capabilities...and in pvp things happen so fast you need to respond
to attacks instinctively.

One of the other nice things about newbie island is that there is no
pvp. It gives you an opportunity to learn the game. Apart from
learning your character you'll need to learn how to use the
communications channels, trading commands, binding to ToLs, etc. So,
without the pvp you are able to learn basics without being killed all
the time! When I was bumped out of newbie island (everyone who hits
L21 are forced off the island) I ended up in some God-forsaken area,
and I can't remember how many times I was killed by higher-level
players!

A critical thing to concern yourself with  (besides the race and base
class (in your case, mage) is profession. You're looking at
Fury...nice! There are a number of disciplines available to furies:
Black Mask, Enchanter, Rune Caster, Summoner, Traveller, and Undead
Hunter. However, my wizard is currently L47 and I still haven't
chosen a discipline! We casters are probably wise to choose
disciplines that will be helpful in pvp mode. For example, I'm trying
to get a Traveller Rune, so I can enable myself and my guildmates to
travel around the islands without need of summons.

The thing casters have to remember is that there are so many spells
it's too easy to spend training points on alot and become "gimped". I
say, have a long-view and research what spells will eventually be
most useful when you're level 40-50 and beyond. Even if you're a bit
weak at the early levels, the guild will look out for you and assist
you in leveling (you'll be amazed how fast the guild can level you
between 20-40). So, it's not always a bad idea to save training
points until you're certain what you want. I say develop one primary
single target offensive spell (talk with high level furies while on
newbie island and see what they recommend-sometimes you have to burn
a few points on a lower level spell to carry you along until you
reach a level where the preferred spell is available). Also, develop
a powerful DoT spell. Finally, develop a spell that helps the group.
I can speed mana regen rates for guildmates and astral-tether (beam a
group back to ToL), healers can, well, heal! I think furies can cast
a barbarian frenzy on their group, and can also blind targets like
assassins (a useful ability).

When you reach L10 on Newbie Island you'll have to choose Fury or
whatever, and you'll get a window saying you can't level further
until you choose. After that it's all about learning and training.
When I reached L20 with my Scout (who is still only about L24, for
lack of playing time) I contacted Guildmates from Wolley Guls who
summoned me to the city where our guild is located - Halcyon - and I
was immediately guilded and bound to the ToL (btw, ToL stands for
Tree of Life, where you'll spawn when you log on, or after you die).
Afer that we'll all be there to help you, andnd alot of the fun of
this game is helping guildmates and protecting one-another.

I hope this was helpful. If others offered advice weigh it and decide
what works for you.

Welcome aboard!

Tacitar Moonshadow  [aka, Wayne ;-)]
Lieutenant,