Info on Upcoming Camping Trips

  • From: "Bates, Hal" <HBates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:46:57 -0500

I appoligize for the long email and you may want to print as it covers
our trips for the rest of the spring and summer.

April 1-3 - Virginia Creeper Trip

This is an excellent trip that our troop has taken before on the Va.
Creeper bike trail The trail is an old
railroad bed that goes slowly down hill through the mountains of
Virginia and you don't need to be in shape to have fun on the bike ride.
We rent bikes for this trip because not any bike can handle mountain
trials and this assures us that everyone will have a qualified bike to
make the trip.

Dads, if you are planning to participate, please let me know if you can
go and the total number of seatbelts you have in your car - we can't
take everybody if we don't have enough dads to transport our scouts.

Cost for this trip will be $30 to cover bike rental and gas.

April 29 - May 1 - Old North State Council Camporee - ABSS SCHOOL

This is a wonderful opportunity for each of our scouts to attend and
will probably be the only council camporee that they will be able to
participate in during their scouting life.

Promotional flyer:
74&Itemid=84 (click on flyer pdf.)

Unfortunately, April 30th is an ABSS school make-up day and the council
is unable to move this event (if this were a Troop 17 event, we would
change the date of the trip). We want all of our scouts to be able to
participate and receive an excused absence from their school. Our Mayor
Ronnie Wall (also Associate Superintendent) went to bat for us and we
have a plan.  If you will submit the name of each Scout/Student and the
school they attend, then Mayor Wall will speak to each School Principal
personally and deliver the list.  Those students will be given excused
absences with a written note from their respective parent or guardian
for Saturday classes.

***Please email me back your son's name and school and I'll submit to
Mayor Ronnie Wall.*** - BY MARCH 22.

Cost will be $25 to cover Camporee fees.

May 27 - 29 - Linville Gorge Backpacking Trip

All scouts will need to go backpacking to receive their First Class
requirement (map and compass hike) and we will be backing in Linville
Gorge. We will divide into two groups with the younger and first-time
backpackers taking a moderate route while our older scouts will be
taking a longer more aggressive route. We will all meet up on Saturday.

Again, I will need dads on this trip. If you have never backpacked, we
have backpacks, tents, etc so you will not need to purchase any

Cost $10 for gas is gas is still at $4.00/gallon.

July 3 - 9 - Summer Camp Cherokee

More information will be coming out about summer camp shortly but I
wanted to let everyone know the date and the cost.

Cost for camp is $230, but if you send me $100 by Tuesday, March 29th,
your scout will receive a $15 dollar discount making camp $215.

Should you have any questions on any of the upcoming events, please let
me know.

Hal Bates
Scoutmaster - Troop 17 <>
2204 Teal Court