fyi and a suggestion

  • From: Jerry Goldman <j-goldman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scotus_archive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:52:49 -0500

It came as a pleasant surprise to me that SCOTUS has posted the entire
content of US Reports from volume 502 to 531.
<> The bound
volumes are authoritative, easy to read, and paginated in a manner that
enables easy citation and reference. It is possible to create a url that
will point to the exact location within a particular volume. It should be
possible to extract the pdf for an individual case and post it.

It seems to me that the chief virtue of Duke opinion archive is to clarify
editorial decisions. There should be a way to signal such editorial
judgments in a pdf while retaining official pagination for citation
purposes. This way, we have a standard against which we can judge these
decisions. Better still, we can create our own edited versions and let the
users of this list decide which ones -- if any -- fit our needs.

Consider, for example, Cohen v. California
<>. Would you know
that this case has been edited just from looking at it? There are no
citations or footnotes. The last paragraph of the introductory section
(prior to the section marked 'I') has been removed. I  believe another
paragraph has also been deleted but I did not check with care. My point is
that we should work from 'authoritative' versions and reveal what we do in
our editorial decisions. If we find no version that satisfies, we can
create our own.

Jerry Goldman