From: The Society of Broadcast Engineers [mailto:htrowbridge@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:51 AM
To: kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: EAS Update

<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=lgwd4edab&v=00112DoRdDy4
tHdSL8cXDm7A2PBtL_AKU8tCEC_d-UAGxOFdfyBRmacyoFFWZ2f2aXkxJwk2Mr5vJW9-x5tiMFGe
14y2DUXktw14-iC7JLWLy_TSGERw2EtIJ-chxlLJiwE3Tq6TioHGIZuGiUEEW6O0IOhyjWBd4pdI
IPKpJIN5P3bZs9uYOkADjgCM8F3-v5Vl7pjzZ5WT7ilrw58KxFk-IJrX944kd4s>

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmrjuVapU6xeXEgM7pwjOVv6XfHbC8K3kN4C
1Doblx3XqgBJjFewOEWHjURUZg3HlK2do6QZ2o2ICFLkT4LmMOpndQClp6cF3dk=>

EAS Update

There has been lots of talk about EAS these last few weeks, though not much
to do ... yet. Yes, we had the Text to Speech fire drill, but that was a big
to do about nothing for most of us.

The June 30, 2012 deadline to have certified CAP EAS equipment in place,
connected to the Internet and polling the IPAWS aggregator, is still
looming. If you are a radio broadcaster like me, you have probably been
compliant with having your equipment in place and connected to the Internet
for quite some time. Like me, you're probably just playing the waiting game
to hear what you need to enter into your equipment for it to contact the
FEMA concentrator.

One of the larger EAS equipment manufacturers has published a statement that
says, "Looking ahead to June 30, you need to be receiving CAP messages by
then. We will have a release of the IPAWS enabled ENDEC software out in a
week or two."

I strongly suggest you check your vendor's website to see if they have an
update for your unit. This information is way overdue from IPAWS, FEMA or
whomever, to us in the field. Let's hope we have more than a week's notice.
Maybe we will get some clues from the IPAWS/NASBA/NAB webinar titled:
"Getting Ready for CAP: Countdown to June 30". This webinar will be held
June 6, from 4 to 5 p.m. ET (1 to 2 p.m. PT). Bookmark the following webinar
link or save it in your calendar:

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmoIkeoaWa_SSvA9sj8oaHMXqm8CYJgFFXpI
CxaYtg0SFqUm0FsobVuxlIgDuenIb7HdVpzvaRyZWc2B75aMQNltK2OhF8JRTGCp2-4BK8vmWtTZ
VSYVDVrqRrUslozrUvoYU3P_RgmAvVNzL8HvLW3Baa_Rxcbpe58=>
https://eiip.webex.com/eiip/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=922661163

I believe most of us are hoping some of the final instructions about
connecting to a concentrator and testing, will be addressed. The webinar
notice is provided below.

Scott Mason, CPBE

SBE EAS Education Committee Chairman

SBE website
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmrxe9-ZmOgVy_aWtNwVjBvVZ7GlIUQwxnWn
hY68GxFQFIPyQHTxKBYhY97bWc0-HKIKJv7-gxjCx0ISuqHFsrVUrtqK_33bbEB1ojOxn9w4RsHu
4tyZbzyxExFoZe9zbic=> EAS Page

FEMA Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS)

In Partnership with the National Alliance of State Broadcasters Association
(NASBA)

and the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)

  IPAWS Webinar: Getting Ready for CAP: Countdown to June 30th

Wednesday, June 6

4 - 5 p.m. ET

Join us in welcoming back our industry and government leaders for the next
discussion in our continuing EAS Webinar Series on Wednesday, June 6, from 4
to 5 p.m. ET!  The event will be hosted by Manny Centeno of the Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Suzanne Goucher of NASBA and the
Maine Association of Broadcasters (MAB).

The Webinar will discuss what EAS Participants need to know to ensure they
are prepared to receive alert messages in Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) and
will include presentations on the following topics:

*       Antwane Johnson, FEMA IPAWS Director, will provide an overall update
on IPAWS developments
*       IPAWS staff will discuss general EAS-CAP best-practices, EAS device
configuration, and parallel operation of the EAS using traditional
monitoring and CAP
*       The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will address recent
changes to Part 11 Rules governing EAS and what State and local Emergency
Communications Committees should be aware of as they update their State EAS
Plans
*       Whit Adamson, President of the Tennessee Association of Broadcasters
(TAB) will share the steps he has taken to develop local officials' interest
in using the EAS
*       IPAWS staff will provide an update on the Primary Entry Point (PEP)
Expansion Program.

Event Details:

What: FEMA IPAWS Special Event - Getting Ready for CAP: Countdown to June 30

When: Wednesday, June 6, 2012; 4 - 5 p.m. ET

Where: WebEx (This link will only be active the afternoon of June 6)

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmoIkeoaWa_SSvA9sj8oaHMXqm8CYJgFFXpI
CxaYtg0SFqUm0FsobVuxlIgDuenIb7HdVpzvaRyZWc2B75aMQNltK2OhF8JRTGCp2-4BK8vmWtTZ
VSYVDVrqRrUslozrUvoYU3P_RgmAvVNzL8HvLW3Baa_Rxcbpe58=>
https://eiip.webex.com/eiip/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=922661163

NOTE: The audio portion of the program will be delivered via your computer
speakers. Please review the instructions posted at:
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmoKk2T49V0_FLnEYY2VfjZe1E41cofvgc0B
j_Buiu25dk0tjHu8ZtBaJpcxPLPQRO3Hby5zm0ugI96muUIxGTR4z_iVtiZIjdJTh-RAd6XNy0Hc
3TfLsPC9fkSooRYWr38=> http://www.emforum.org/WebExInstructions.htm  prior to
the program.

Webinar Login: The following login link can be used not earlier than 30
minutes prior to the scheduled meeting time:
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmoIkeoaWa_SSvA9sj8oaHMXqm8CYJgFFXpI
CxaYtg0SFqUm0FsobVuxlIgDuenIb7HdVpzvaRyZWc2B75aMQNltK2OhF8JRTGCp2-4BK8vmWtTZ
VSYVDVrqRrUslozrUvoYU3P_RgmAvVNzL8HvLW3Baa_Rxcbpe58=>
https://eiip.webex.com/eiip/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=922661163. The password is
attend.

Questions can be directed to the FEMA IPAWS email address:
<mailto:ipaws@xxxxxxx> ipaws@xxxxxxx, Manny Centeno at
<mailto:Manuel.Centeno@xxxxxxxx> Manuel.Centeno@xxxxxxxx, or Suzanne Goucher
at  <mailto:Suzanne@xxxxxxx> Suzanne@xxxxxxx

Sample SECC Plan

The Broadcast Warning Working Group (BWWG) and invited stakeholders met
during the 2012 NAB Show and held a State Emergency Communications Committee
(SECC) plan writing workshop. The group produced a sample state plan
document (v4.0)
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmqlH3sViyb-ebawC90Ad0w05kIY1oPFf0Se
KczkZhDO-L_4DT7ftQfB7-HVV74mv8mGlC2FBYH9A0hcj7pT0TfGnzU3YJiJ97ocLTXLeZ4CFWEE
Lv8RzwbC-BONU_xg5Ti3MkDUcc2mCSNfjHUxc7ZU95q5HcJB-ocpauUb_5SSp5fp4bAwoxmB>
that is posted on the EAS FORUM website. If you have any questions or
suggestions about the sample plan, contact the BWWG through their website,
http://eas.radiolists.net
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmrFImLWLN0cxiEotMlEjLeGgD08oK8-woPQ
tTWjUKoSIFeqBPaAQWTWRjrDScMiNE6K0I2ss2U6SlMtVI8UYaPmG7Lh15zg4_L97yAm8o_4UQ==
> .

Sample SECC Plan

The Broadcast Warning Working Group (BWWG) and invited stakeholders met
during the 2012 NAB Show and held a State Emergency Communications Committee
(SECC) plan writing workshop. The group produced a sample state plan
document (v4.0)
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmqlH3sViyb-ebawC90Ad0w05kIY1oPFf0Se
KczkZhDO-L_4DT7ftQfB7-HVV74mv8mGlC2FBYH9A0hcj7pT0TfGnzU3YJiJ97ocLTXLeZ4CFWEE
Lv8RzwbC-BONU_xg5Ti3MkDUcc2mCSNfjHUxc7ZU95q5HcJB-ocpauUb_5SSp5fp4bAwoxmB>
that is posted on the EAS FORUM website. If you have any questions or
suggestions about the sample plan, contact the BWWG through their
website,http://eas.radiolists.net
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmrFImLWLN0cxiEotMlEjLeGgD08oK8-woPQ
tTWjUKoSIFeqBPaAQWTWRjrDScMiNE6K0I2ss2U6SlMtVI8UYaPmG7Lh15zg4_L97yAm8o_4UQ==
> .

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001HtXcg5buQmph-WfADjUHWk04HfkGBZKYRnnLKT2_u7Pl
D1oY4ltex23msbs0c7tnTBXU154s6ircUQQ_E-F_PmlE-wCvOx-1blMIQye1mMA=> The
Society of Broadcast Engineers
9102 North Meridian St, Suite 150
Indianapolis, IN 46260
Phone: (317) 846-9000
Fax: (317) 846-9120

Forward email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=lgwd4edab&m=1102899697867&ea=
kevin%40provideosystems.com&a=1110105510108>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001RO-i7MKIqc0LWERJhS4aIhGyB
WKL5wvP&t=001gE8tjgJ6ThQqfCY9Z9sr4g%3D%3D&llr=lgwd4edab>

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_112>

This email was sent to kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx by htrowbridge@xxxxxxx |

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001RO-i7MKIqc0LWERJhS4aIhGyB
WKL5wvP&t=001gE8tjgJ6ThQqfCY9Z9sr4g%3D%3D&llr=lgwd4edab> T | Privacy Policy
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .

The Society Of Broadcast Engineers | 9102 North Meridian | Suite 150 |
Indianapolis | IN | 46260

<http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?t=1110105510108.0.1102899697867.1721&ts=S0758&o=h
ttp://ui.constantcontact.com/images/p1x1.gif>