[sanesecurity] Re: Possible FP Sanesecurity.Jurlbl.45825.UNOFFICIAL

  • From: Tom Shaw <tshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:15:31 -0500

At 4:03 PM +0000 1/27/10, Ian Carter wrote:

Hi all,

A company working for one of the University departments is trying to
send a mass email to a number of people onsite. They appear to be using
campaignmonitor.com which use createsend.com servers. This rule matches
on createsend2 DOT com.

Does anyone have a feel if these are a fairly legit company, or one that
is a bit unscrupulous with it's customer base? I'm guessing the latter
due to its listing. I may have to put an exception in, but I'd rather
not if it's going to let a load of rubbish in.

Ian

They appear to be legit but so did constantcontact and they didn't do a good job in self policing in the beginning. Massmailers that allow "evaluation runs" without taking a deposit are always at risk for abuse. That said, they do not appear on google searches associating spam with them.

However, I have to ask. Since you are with a university with a computer science department why you don't have your own internal or open-source bulk mailing system?

Tom