[sac-forum] Re: You'd better check your computers....

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 07:06:34 -0700

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:29:23 -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:23:37 -0700, Thad Robosson wrote:
>
> > Hey All,
> >
> > I know that this is WAY off topic, but anyone on these lists ought
> > to Virus Scan their computers.
> >
> > Rick and I have been getting quite a bit of virus-laden emails
> > lately, and have deduced that anyone with both of our email
> > addresses could be the infected ones.  BTW, our computers are clean,
> > at least according to the latest versions of our AV software... Just
> > thought it'd be good to warn everyone....
>
> Already mentioned on this mailing list in April, you can find a free
> Anti-virus at:
>
>       http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Here is another free antivirus available at:  http://www.sarc.com/
Under "Virus Definitions", follow the link "Free Online Virus and Security
Check".

The virus that prompted Thad's original message is a variant of the Klez
virus.  You can read more info about this virus at:

        http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@xxxxxxx
        http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@xxxxxxx

If you have this virus, it's sending out random files from your computer
and spoofing the From: address of the message.

        -Paul