[sac-forum] Re: SH-308

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 04:21:22 -0700

Hi Robert and Bill,

I have a couple of more questions that I will ask
via personal Email so as not to clutter up this list.

Again, EXCELLENT image!

Thanks,

Howard

Robert Brewington wrote:

Hey Howard,

Yeah, that was my image. As you say, part of the challenge was the dimness of the image.

I used a Takahashi FSQ106ED with an SBig STF8300M. The scope is f/5, 530mm focal length; it is new to me, just
got it in December. Previously I had a Tak Sky90 refractor. That one is very nice, but the FSQ106 is significantly better.

I used HAlpha for 4 subs of 30 minutes each, and OIII for 6 subs at 30 minutes. I am guiding, although I have been able to do 30 minute unguided subs with my mount (Paramount MX).

I am an ACP user, so calibration of the subs was done in Maxim DL. I do panel flats during the day before that
night's imaging.

All subsequent processing was done in PixInsight. I put HAlpha in the red channel, OIII in green, and OIII + 10% HAlpha in blue. Pretty much standard PI processing, although I do perform a lot of little steps to try and get it reasonable. I do not have a very good eye for seeing when I am improving the image or making it worse, although I am getting better:)

brew

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I did not note the name of the person that showed SH-308
    at Friday's meeting.  Superb shot.
    I just realized that I shot it a month or two ago and
    did not do ANYWHERE near as well.
    Could you please contact me and let me know what you
    did to get such wonderful results.  I don't recall your
f-ratio or which filters you were using. I took 40 minute shots with a ST-4000 color
    camera but the object is pretty dim in my images.

    Thanks,

    Howard
    480-897-7425 <tel:480-897-7425>

--