[sac-forum] Re: Paramount or Mathis?

  • From: "Matt Luttinen" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:13:45 -0700

Stan,

I am no expert since I have never had the luck (or $$$$) to own one but =
it's
safe to say that the Paramount is the standard by which all other =
high-end
mounts are judged. You could not possibly go wrong with a Bisque =
Paramount.
Plus, it is "transportable," (I have seen a few in the field) whereas =
the
additional weight of the MI-500 could be a problem if you wanted to take =
it
out.

You might try the ScopeMounts group on Yahoo for more information:

or

I imagine that both mounts are great, but it seems that the Paramount is
more prevalent among power users--I see more of them in private
well-equipped observatories than any other brand. Heck, even some pros =
use
them for "small" scope rigs that do automated surveys and such.

The MI-500 would no doubt do a nice job in your observatory, and it =
costs 2
grand less, so there it is . . .=20

Matt