[sac-forum] Re: Opportunity (MER B) Now Safely on Mars

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:37:12 -0700

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:00:13 -0700, Andrew Goodwin wrote:

> I watched it on NASA TV (channel 117 for those with DTV) not since the Green
> Bay winning the super bowl can I remember the excitement of a victory like
> this. My wife thinks I am crazy. I guess she just doesn't get it.

I had to watch it on the web.  I put headphones on and audio was very
good.  I could hear comments made in the background.

I saw the images this morning, with the bounce marks on bothe side of the
lander, and the high horizon, my thought immediately went to
"Opportunity's in a crater".  From today's web page:

    "We have scored a 300-million mile interplanetary hole in one," said Dr.
    Steve Squyres of Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., principal investigator
    for the science instruments on both rovers.

        -Paul