[sac-forum] Re: October Newsletter

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:15:24 -0700

>As I mentioned before, this had been discussed before and there is no
>need to go into it again, at least not at this moment. If I cannot get
>my newsletter in the traditional manner for the reasons I want one, then
>I will join another club if I still have an interest in belonging to a
>local club. There are other clubs in the Valley. I already know of one
>individual who dropped out of SAC because that person hardly ever
>received their newsletter. Getting a newsletter in U.S. mail has been
>the traditional method of getting the newsletter to the member. One can
>argue, as you are doing, that it is too expensive, etc., but I do not
>think it is healthful for members to have a resentful attitude that
>their dues are subsidizing someone elses newsletter.
>Stan

This is precisely what I tried to discuss before. Since it costs the
club essentially nothing to provide the newsletter to the world on
the web, and the cost is significant for producing and sending a
handful of hard copy Newsletters, then indeed my dues do subsidize
these hard copies as I get zero benefit from it yet it costs the club
significant money for just a few. If you consider printing out your
own copy of the Newsletter from a .pdf file a cost to you, what about
others who do not receive the hard copy? It cost them paper and ink,
yet for the same dues you get yours at no additional cost.

Once again I ask, when someone inquires about joining the club, what
tangible things do they get for their dues? There has been talk about
the club's financial woes, stagnate or slipping membership, raising
dues. Here's an area that can help things.

Newsletters are many clubs primary expense. Either the club produces
hard copy newsletters for ALL members or the ones who require the
hard copy should pay additional fees. I fail to see why that's not
fair. If the club was rolling in money it wouldn't be much of an
issue, however, the club is not!

If money is tight, making the Newsletter 100%  web .pdf  or .zip
would help deter an increase in dues and possibly even a decrease in
dues. Certainly it would help finances.

Also, since you have evidently not been getting your hard copy
consistently, there may be other problems. Hard copy Newsletters not
only cost a great deal more, they require significant personal effort
from a club member to get the copying/printing done, compiling the
Newsletters, addressing the Newsletters, getting to the Post office
to mail the Newsletters, all this is bypassed for the Web copy.

Jeff
--
                                           Jeff Hopkins
                                            HPO SOFT